Sunday, July 28, 2013

Banana-Coconut Chocolate Chip Waffles



Sunday morning is definitely a time when I crave some delicious breakfast food. I love waffles, french toast, pancakes, you name it - what I don't love is feeling sick after I eat them because of the grease, and processed ingredients. This morning, I fixed that problem. These are the best waffles I have ever had, and they are so good for you.


This recipe makes about 4 belgian style waffles.
Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup oat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
1 banana
1 3/4 cups skim milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 egg whites
handful of ghiradelli dark chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat your waffle maker before you get started. I sprayed mine with some coconut oil to prevent the waffle from getting stuck to it.

Put the whole wheat flour, oat flour, and baking soda into a large mixing bowl. Mix them together until they are uniformly combined.





Next you'll want to mash up the banana in a separate bowl. Add the coconut oil, milk, egg whites and vanilla to the mashed up banana. Mix them together and add that to the dry ingredient bowl.











Mix the wet and dry ingredients until most of the large lumps are gone. This batter will be a bit more lumpy than normal waffle batter because of the banana. Once it is all mixed together, add the chocolate chips if desired. Let the batter sit for 3 minutes before continuing.




Pour some of the batter onto your waffle maker and let it cook until it stops steaming.




I added some of my almond butter, and some raspberries and strawberries to my waffles. This was a great balance between the sweetness of the fruit and the waffle, and some savory from the almond butter. These waffles are an great source of healthy fats, protein, carbs, and fiber. I strongly urge you health conscious breakfast lovers to try this recipe, you won't regret it!


No comments:

Post a Comment