Monday, August 5, 2013

Sunflower Butter



Nut butter's in general are super popular now, as I said in my post about almond butter. I never thought about sunflower butter until I saw it in Trader Joes. I could just buy it, but I much rather make it myself. This way I know exactly what is going into it, and I get to be creative and feel purposeful. This recipe is very similar to my almond butter recipe, the main difference is that it takes a little longer to turn into the butter consistency.

Ingredients:
Raw Sunflower Seeds
Salt (optional)
Sugar (optional)

You will also need a frying pan, a food processor, a spatula, and a container to put the sunflower butter in once it's done.

First, you'll want to toast your sunflower seeds. Place them in your frying pan on medium high heat, and constantly stir them until they are a little bit golden brown. Do not over toast them because they will burn and your sunflower butter will not come out good. Next, place the toasted sunflower seeds into your food processor. You can add a pinch of salt and sugar if you like, or you can just have it plain. Just like with the almond butter recipe, you'll want to periodically scrape down the sides of the food processor. You'll notice that this recipe takes longer to turn into the sunflower butter - just be patient. For me, it took about 15 minutes to get to the right consistency. Some people like to add olive oil to make it even more creamy, but I liked mine the way it was. I don't see a need to add more fat to the recipe. Once your sunflower butter is at your desired consistency, place into your container and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment