Thursday, July 25, 2013

So you like pizza, huh?



Today I really, really wanted pizza. I was having a thousand italian food cravings - #1 on my list was a slice of deep dish pizza from Umberto's of New Hyde Park (those of you who've had it can back me up). It isn't time for my cheat meal yet though, it's too early in the week to waste my favorite meal on a silly craving. I have made a couple of alternatives to the typical greasy, processed dough pizza before, such as whole wheat pizza. It's very good, but I wanted to try something even healthier. I came across the idea of cauliflower crust pizza, and tonight I tried out the recipe. I found this recipe on www.gosupersisters.com and it turned out well.

In their recipe they use cauliflower, 1 egg white, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, garlic, coconut flour, light mozzarella and sauce. They basically tell you to put the cauliflower into the food processor until it turns into a rice consistency. Then, you nuke it in the microwave for about 5 minutes, and once it's cool squeeze all of the water out in a kitchen towel. Once that is done, you add all of the ingredients, except the mozzarella and sauce, to the cauliflower and make it into a ball. You press it onto a baking sheet and stick it in the oven for about 25 minutes total, including flipping it and putting the topping on. This was a good recipe but there are some things I would change. The flavor of the parmesan was very potent, along with the garlic, salt, pepper etc. I would have probably halved all of the seasoning ingredients, because once you add the toppings it is too much flavor. I would have preferred a more plain crust. Overall, this is a good recipe, but I do recommend being cautious with the amount of seasoning that they suggest, and maybe lessen it. Definitely try this recipe out, and check out the GoSuperSister's website.

Go Super Sister's Cauliflower Crust



I also made roasted asparagus with my dinner. I took the asparagus, put it in a ziploc bag and added some salt, pepper, lemon juice, olive oil (sparingly), fresh garlic and a little parmesan. I roasted it in the oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit. The sweet and savory combination in this recipe really makes for a tasty dish. This is a great vegetarian meal, and an awesome alternative to your typical dinner!




No comments:

Post a Comment